Monday, November 7, 2011

October 17, 2011

Hey YALL:

Soooo President called today and said that there are going to be new missionaries arriving on Wednesday and he put me to train one of them. Sooo, using the slang we use on the mission, I am going to be a pai (dad). The missionary I am going to train is gonna be my filho (kid). So that should be stressful. I dunno if he is Brazilian or American, but I suspect he is going to be an American, cuz they usually do not send Brazilians in the middle of the transfer. I don´t know where yet, but I was kinda sad that I got transferred. I really enjoy serving with Elder M. Santos.

Alright, I did a little better this week in keeping my cool experiences and stuff noted in my planner, so I will give a chronologically correct update. ON Tuesday me and Elder Rolim left to work. We basically did a million contacts. There really are some days when you just have no plans so you have to knock doors all day. Just like everyone imagines we do all day everyday. But its kinda weird cuz we ran into a lot of crazy people. For some reason Imbituba has a lot of homeless crazy people. And EVERY single one of them knows the story of Joseph Smith and about the missionaries. One walked up to me and said ``Salt Lake Cikry?```hahahaha. I guess its cuz the crazies always ask for money or just talk to everyone and so the missionaries just did contacts with them haah. But, Tuesday I got my package!!! YAAAY! I was suffering without garments. Haha MOM! I like the t shirt kinds NOT the swoop neck ones!! But, you actually helped me out cuz it is getting really hot and the swoop ones are a LOOOT cooler and more comfortable to wear. And also I like the other kind of deodorant... haha sorry. The normal kind. BUT, you also helped me there as well. The kind you sent me helps you not sweat as much. So, your mistakes helped me out, so you don´t have to feel bad. haaha just kidding thanks a bunch for the package it really saved me. My old garments are yellow cuz I didn´t know how to say bleach until 2 weeks ago. Its ``sanitary water`` in Portuguese. Strange.

On Wednesday we visited a baptism to be of Elder Rolims named Simone. She is soo cool. Remember that big guy that I talked about that I taught in Louisiana named Marquis:? She is just like him. She gives us references all the time and takes us to people´s house to teach them. We marked 4 more baptisms just because of her!! One of them was a cool experience. But first, on the way there, we were walking in the middle of nowhere. There was LITERALLY nothing taller than me for at least a mile in all directions. Just short little bushes. There seemingly APPEARED a guy walking behind us. He was walking really fast, so I looked back repeatedly to see why. I couldn´t see why, and didn´t worry about it. All the sudden I realized that he was pretty close behind, probably 20 feet. Then I heard him stop. No more than 3 seconds later, I looked back to see why he had stopped. HE DISAPPEARED. I went back to try to find him and searched for 30 minutes. I searched that place up and down and he was no where to be found. You can call me crazy but he really did disappear. What is the explanation to this? I am trying to find out too. It was weird.

But then we taught a lesson to a lady and had the most spiritually strong lesson I have ever had. I can honestly say that I felt something different in the room when I began to say the First Vision. It was incredible. She accepted to be baptized and cried a bunch. Even more spectacular, she said that her son, who has severe ADHD and ADD, has never paid attention to anyone or anything. But, when we came in, he sat down and paid FULL attention and asked some extremely intelligent questions. It was a miracle. He will be baptized next week.

The next couple days I left to work with Rolim as well, but the days were just full of contacts and terrible lessons. There is this Gaúcho guy (guy from Rio Grande do Sul) who hates Americans. I taught him the first lesson and he hated it. But, he confessed later that he felt that the church is true and now he is trying to be more friendly with me. Its cool to se the gospel change people´s lives. Unfortunately The church here is really sad. I told you last week, but I will reaffirm it this week.

I am really nervous to train but not really cuz if I am or not it´ll happen anyways. So we´ll see how it goes. I don´t remember if I told you but Fitts had to go home early (he is home as I am writing this) to get surgery on his back. BUT, he is expected to go back out in December. So pray for him too.

Mom, you cand send the package now, the strike ended. Try not to send too much stuff that I lug around. I have a bunch of crap already and I am thinking about sending a whole suitcase home. I think I will. Tell both granparents I love them and miss them a lot. I think about them a lot. I have been wanting to know about my geneology lately. Who are my ancestors, their names, where they were from, etc. Would be cool to know. But tell them I love them.

Alllllrighty then I love you guys, see you in 11 months.

Love Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment