Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 17th, 2011

So this email has a story in it that is so classic I won't ever forget it. But first, Fitts got his VISA!! So, mines up next! But it will come when it comes.

So one of our investigators died about a week ago, and the funeral was on Saturday. Our main investigator, Britny, (her Mom was the one who died) invited us to go. So we went. I was a stereotypical baptist funeral, with 100 percent black people besides me, and everyone was shouting and screaming hallelujah and waving their hands. They are so loud and irreverent. But It was nice because they celebrated it more than I have seen other religions. They called it a "homegoing." The funeral home was cheap, with peeling teal colored walls and sparkly popcorn ceilings. So A couple of pastors, as planned and outlined in the program, got up and screamed and "preached." Me being the sole white person in there, I was easily noticed. Especially because there were no seats so we stood to the side up close to the front. Reverend Williams got up to do something outlined in the program called, "acknowledging of other Ministers." She said, "anyone from another church that is hear spreading the good work please raise ya hand!" So they hinted at us to raise our hands. We did. She then practically forced us up to the podium to speak to the congregation!! There were 300+ people at the funeral, and, I was going speak in 30 seconds. I had talked to the woman that had died twice!! So I quickly prepared a speech in 30 seconds, and I was up. I got up there, and talked about the first time I met her and how christlike she was. After every sentence I said everyone in the place would yell "AMEN" or "OHHH YES" I even spoke of some Mormon doctrine! At a Baptist funeral!!! I can't believe that they all listened to me and agreed with the Mormon Doctrine (I talked about the Plan of Salvation) that I talked about!! It was so funny. It was like a scene from a movie. I was suprisingly poised and my "speech" was well done. Afterward everyone came up and thanked me for "the word." a 19 year old white kid from Utah speaking at a southern baptist funeral... It really was like a movie scene. I would make millions if I made a movie with a scene like that in it!!
So the funeral was way far away in a town called New Roads, so we had to walk for the rest of the day. We probably walked 6 or 7 miles. Not too bad, but I sure wasn't used to it yet!! Over and over I am prompted to tell you to prepare a good food storage, so I will tell you now. Start making a food storage! President Monson stressed the importance of this recently as well as daily excersise. So please follow the prophet!!
So I am no in a 3some anymore. He left on Tuesday for another area because someone got their VISA. The president was right, VISAs did come! Two people left for their missions last week. So Elder Robbins of the 70 came to talk to us last week, and it was pretty good. We had people sleep over at our apartment cuz they needed to be closer to the stake center, so that night was hectic and they ate all of our food. There was first a "leadership" meeting, so I went on switches with 3 different elders. It was a fun day.
thats basically all I did this week, almost everynight I have a dream that I am skiing with my friends or on a past family vacation again. I have dreamed about Puerto Rico, Washington, Phoenix, New York, Canada, its so funny! Its fun though.I also dream about messing up in a discussion we are having with an investigator. Its funny. But I believe that gaining a testimony is a process. I hope so. I can see a slight increase, so I guess it is! I saw on a newspaper blowing around that the Jazz aren't doing so hot anymore. Dang. I got to play like 4 hours of basketball today with pure black people. They call me white magic. They are so rough! Its a different style of play here, its so interesting. Well, I probably got to get goin, but I really look forward to that stuff in the mail!!
I love you
I miss you so much, you are in every prayer I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment