Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 24, 2011

I got the email from dad that you printed out. It was really good, as usual. I am glad that someone else couldn't find their way around a city! The rumor is that when they people were building baton rouge, they just grabbed some spaghetti and through it on a paper and that was the road scheme they followed. They is no pattern, and no way to tell how to get around. Just memorization kinda. But its not as bad as New Orleans apparently.

So that was fun that I got email twice huh? The guy I went with on exchanges, Elder Hatch, was so cool. I enjoyed every second of it. The town of Gonzalez is really weird too. Everyone was flying Rebel flags. But we talked to some good people and I even got fed! We went to SUCH a nice neighborhood, there is a chip company here called ZAPPS chips and the owner is a member. We went over there and he gave us all kinds of chips. They are really good chips. But he house was so cool! I really love unique houses, maybe I will be an architect? No, it involves too much math.

So the other day the S.W.A.T. team blew up a front door to someones house and rushed in. It happened a couple blocks away from our house. So that was kind of exciting. That same day I got a letter from Jacob and he seems so excited about his mission-I feel bad that he has to go to the MTC first though. He wil like it (I hope) I gave him some good advice, including to stay away from the exploding ketchup machine. So we HAD a baptism of a family for the 29th, but she is a felon and didnt come to church so it fell through. It is so tough to get people to church! Its kind of obvious why. Everyone is so nice but they just want to please us so they say what we want to hear. So its tough to decide who is serious and who isn't.

I cut my own hair last thursday and it is so short. I always thought that I looked really mean when my hair was super short. I do. I remember when I got shaved and Dad saw me for the first time he said, "If I saw you in an alley I would run the other way." I look like a gang member, and I look angry because of my dark eyebrows. Someone even told me that I was scaring them when I looked at them. Haha. When I went on transfers Elder Hatch gave me a cuff link shirt! I had always noticed that the President was wearing cuff links as well as the Prophet. So I guess its ok to have cuff links. A member of my ward said that he would give me some that he didnt use, so that will be cool.

I was wondering that if when I got home Dad could put on a new cover on my scriptures? I don't like the black, I wish it was like alligator skin or something. I am reading through the New Testament and it is pretty strange, its just paul talking to different people and giving them advice on how to live. Remember this name when we come back, cuz they have the best poboys sandwiches. They are called DEMPSEYS. So we will have to go there in a couple years. Right next to it is a place called "Lake Sherwood Acres." It was the nicest neighborhood in our area (probably the only nice area) we went and tracted in there and everyone was white, catholic, and were pretty mean to us. The houses were as cool as the Durhams house! They were so awesome, we should live there if we ever move to Baton Rouge, which I refuse to do so nevermind. We only got to teach one lesson for the 3 hours we were in there! Interestingly enough, the only black guy that we talked to was the one we taught the lesson to! He went to Cambridge university and spoke hebrew and greek.. But I thought it was funny that the only black guy we came in contact with was the nicest one and the only one to invite us in!!
I love going to church. I get to talk to people that I would normally associate with, and it is so fun! I talked to Tania, the Brazilian member in our ward, for like 30 minutes. She is so cool, we gotta see her if we come to visit this place. It'll be fun to actually know what she is saying too haha.

I went on splits with our ward mission leader, Brother Pratt. He is from Provo, so we loved arguing about The U and BYU. He is such a normal, fun guy too. I so much enjoy seeing NORMAL non-robotic people that are fully active and really good members in the church. It has ben absolutely freezing the past week. I can hardly be outside for more than 5 minutes. It feels like you are not wearing any clothes because the cold just goes right through them! Its so strange. I miss the mountains, and I found out that 3 people from my district have gotten their VISAs! It is in the back of my mind, but I can't help but have excitement for its arrival.

The Christmas stocking had a bunch of candy, a pair of socks, and some money in it. It was so good to have it! You will have to thank eveyrone that sent it out to me. It really was so nice of them, it lifted my spirits for days.

Well, there's nothing more to tell you for this week, I always write down things to tell you at the end of the day in my planner. I will tell you this though. That if I say something completely negative with no positive aspect to it at all, then I haven't had much time to think about it. As I think through the negative things that happen, I can always pull out something good about it. Another thing I have noticed about myself is that I always can find a way to get what I want. If I want to get inside someones house to teach them, I can usually find a way to do so. If I want to tell my companion something but not offend him, I can. If I want some cuff links, I can find a way to impose the question without asking directly. It is s useful skill, which is extremely applicable on a mission. Like I said a couple weeks ago, I have no idea what I did to deserve all the things that I have, but I sure am glad that I got them! I am more and more grateful everyday for the smallest things that I notice that most people I come in contact with do not have. Its crazy how much I was blessed with! But, I feel a little stressed knowing that, because in the scriptures it says that who much is given, much is expected. I like to think of it mroe as a challege though. So I do my best everyday and I hope that it will be enough!

Well, I probably should get going, but I love you so much. I miss you just as bad as ever, but I know that it will be a short time before I get to see you. Even shorter to get to talk to you. Hopefully this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment