Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 3, 2011

The days are just one. It feels like I never sleep! But in fact, I sleep better than I did at home because I am so tired at night. But it feels like I lay in bed, wake up at 2, wake up at 5, and then it feels like 2 minutes late the alarm is going off. But I get up somehow.

I like to hear about Luke and about his talk. This is good advice that he offers. That sucks that it is snowing! I miss skiing! It was 75 on Christmas, and this past week it has been raining like crazy and has been in the 20's. The weather is so weird I can't emphasize that enough. On Monday I had a taste of some southern food. GUMBO. This pentacostal guy, (what a weird belief) who is so nice and is so charitable, made his famous gumbo he calls "willies gumbo." What the heck can I say to pentacostals that will convert them! It is hard here because everyones religion is pretty much almost the same as ours so its hard to say you are wrong because they too are entitled and have had spiritual experiences.

But anyways, the gumbo was so good I even asked for the recipe. He said "ima write it out fa yall so dat ya can fool ya mama inta thankin dat youz a good cook." Meaning that he was gonna get it to me so that I could make it when I get home and you would think I am a good cook (I am improving) I saw lebron james on TV for like 2 seconds when I walked by a house and he looks so weird wearing number 6 and being in a HEAT jersey!! When we have district meeting every week it is basically to talk about crazy people. We meet with this lady named sholala and she loves her pastor and showed us a tape of him. It was basically him saying "jesus.....jesus....jesus... Hallelujah... We Saved!!" over and over again. And they get paid for that!! When we plan at night it isn't a strange thing to hear a gunshot or two. People are either shooting at other people or they just shoot up in the air for some reason...

Everyone says that I look just like Captian Kirk from the new Star Trek movie. Someone showed me a picture and I kind of do! This family named the Lewis family has a baptism scheduled for the 22nd and they are so funny. They asked for my autograph because I look like captain kirk. She reminds me so much of grandma Nena, but black. We put up wallpaper for her and I got to wear my p day clothes! I was so nice, I wore the michael jackson shirt Katie gave me and they all callled me "footloose." So I have noticed I have absolutely NO pictures of you or Dad! NONE. What the heck is up with that???? Everyone asks me if I even have parents because I dont have pictures to prove it! SEND ME SOME. I would also, if it is OK with you, like a copy of your and dads patriarchal blessing and maybe even a brief testimony??

Yesterday it was probably the hottest I have even been. It was in the high 80's and it was so humid for some reason! I burned. And my companion is always cold because he is from Brazil. Its kind of funny actually. I hope you all had a happy new years! I recalled where I was two years ago and I was a senior in high school! That was a while ago. Last year I watched the ball drop with Dad, so that was a really fun memory to recall. We had to go in at 6 and were on lockdown because it was crazy. I barely slept because of the loud music and guns and fireworks ALL NIGHT. Devan would love it here probably. Tell Kevin to write me and Devan and Jacob! and Willie if you ever see him..

At church it was fast and testimony meeting and so many humble people got up to bear their testimony. It was really neat to see because most people here can hardly read or speak cognitively so they have to rely so much more on the Lord. I don't know what I did in the premortal life to receive such abundancy in my blessings, but I did something! It is amazing. I am sometimes dumbfounded at how much better off I am than people, in all aspects. I had never NEARLY thanked the Lord enough for what I have. As I was conversing with a member on Monday I realized one of the best blessings I have is that I have a family that is well on their way to the Celestial Kingdom and as long as I am striving to be on my way too I don't have to worry about not being together with you forever. The members I talked to are really concerned that they wont be with their families after this life because they aren't accepting the gospel. I don't even have that worry at all!!

We also talked about a talk that Dad put on my iPod (that I cant listen to) called "profile of a prophet." It wa such a cool talk, I just thought I would tell Dad that I look forward to hearing it again because it really was an eye opener. We have interviews with the president on the 6th. I don't know if I will be here, but it doesn't matter. He said that he has a distinct feeling he is going to lose the VISA waiters this week. (thats good news for me!!)

My bishops name is bishop smith!! I thought it was funny, he is white too! Haha. During testimony meeting his second councilor got up and said something I liked a lot and is descriptive of many missionaries lives. "Its kind of awkward, but its a commandment. I just open my mouth and rely on the spirit to convert." Not all of the time, but that statement is true! I thought it was funny haha. I am glad for the opposition in all things. If it weren't for being in Baton rouge, I would have never fully appreciated what I have at home. A fully functioning loving and caring family, obviously, (I don't think I will ever stop gaining appreciation for my family now) but besides that I live in a clean house, a beautiful neighborhood, and something that suprised me is that I have so many friends. My companion has no friends to return to after his mission. I have like 20+! And of those, I have 4 or five that will speak portuguese! I learn so much here, I feel like a mission is meant for me. Its not though, I am supposed to be teaching others what I know about Christ, the me learning part is just one of the bonuses! They are HUGE bonuses. In preach my gospel, I read that those of us called to speak a language will have need of it throughout life and should use it after the mission as much as possible. That made me even more excited to learn Portuguese!! Well, I think I gotta go "make groceries" but I love you so much and I will talk you hopefully in the next couple weeks at the airport somewhere!

Love you!!

Elder Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment