Tuesday, April 3, 2012

March 19, 2012

Helloooo family:

Sooo this week was without doubt the most stressful of my mission!! I´ll tell you about it later in the email.

On Monday I saw the wife of one of my favorite baptisms in Tijucas! Remember Rafael?? I baptized him in June and now they are going to get married in the temple on July 20th!! Cool huh, they are great.

So there has been this 15 year old kids that has been going to chuch alone for the past 3 weeks. We were told by our president to let young men that were gonig to church alone just to let them go and not baptize them, unless they showed great promise. This kid is pretty promising. He goes to seminary every single day, and he has already read 1/2 of the BOM. He had really long hair, which he loved, but when we told him about the church standards of the appearence of a Priesthood holder, he cut it the next day!! His baptism will be this Friday. Its cool because all the youth of the ward is befriending him. Missionary work is practically useless without members.

On Wednesday it was SUPER hot and when it gets to that blazing heat it usually rains a lot at night. Wednesday was no exception. It rained SOO much, and the lightning was so cool! The sky was lit up constantly all night!! On Wednesday we were contacting less active members and we found a mom of a missionary who is on a mission right now! Weird huh. He is hearing about it today and I bet he is so happy! She is pretty cool but when her missionary son tried to explain the gospel through email it just didn´t work. We got there, and now she is progressing and learning.

And then... the worst day ever. Thursday, we were studying, normal. Elder Barros said he had a headache and went and laid down. I continued studying, when I heard Elder Barros making a weird noise. I thought he was jsut stretching, so I continued studying. Then, the noise got more intense. I stood up to look what was happening and saw Elder Barros, foaming at the mouth with his eyes in the back of his head, his whole body spasming. I basically teleported to the side of his bed to see what the heck was happening. He was having a seizure!! Luckily I remembered the little that I had learned in college about the human body and remembered that you just have to keep their head from hitting against things and also to sit them up so they don´t swallow their toungue. So, I sat him up, and secured his head from the wall and from himself hitting himself. I said a little prayer and continued to secure him.

It lasted about 5 minutes. 5 really long minutes. He slowly stopped moving, and slowly came to. When I asked him if he was OK, he didn´t know. I asked some questions to see if he remembered anything. ``Elder Barros, who am I? ``I don´t know.`` ``Who are you?`` ``I don´t know.`` I also asked him where he was, what he had done that morning, and other questions. The only thing he remembered was the name of our mission president haha. So, I got him dressed with his own clothes that he didn´t recognize, and I called a member to take us to the hospital. He was really dizzy and could hardly walk. I grabbed his wallet and all his ID and we went to the hospital. When we got there I looked in his wallet and his medical card wasn´t there. So, I called the president´s wife (she is in charge of health) again and got permission to go home alone to get his medical card. I went and got it, and got back to wait with the then lucid Elder Barros. We waited for 5 minutes. I then looked at Elder Barros, and he was looking at the wall behind him. I thought it was normal, but then his back started to pop. He started shaking and foaming at the mouth again. So, he had another seizure in the waiting room of the E.R. He fell to the ground, and I grabbed him and lifted him up and secured his head, again. I think I yelled ``GET THE DOCTORS`` ten times, but everyone was just watching me. Some guy that had also arrived to the E.R. that had his foot cut off came to help me. We lifted him up onto a rolling bed, which the nurses had FINALLY brought in, and they took him off to the E.R. They sedated him and he calmed down and the seizure passed.

Being an emergency, the president came to resolve the problem. but, the 5 hours in between, I took care of elder Barros while the nurses cleaned him up (he had thrown up and stuff) It was nice in the hospital cuz it was really cold and air conditioned. President finally got there, and marked millions of MRI´s and exams for him to do. We did 2 today. But it was pretty freaky! I kept my cool, but now I am really exhausted because every movement that he makes I think it is another seizure. So, I have not been sleeping at night cuz I gotta take care of him. He is taking medication now that they said that it is highly unlikely that he will have another, but it makes him crazy and like a druggie. Its kind funny haha.

His dad has a disease where he has seizures monthly and every time it damages his brain a little bit more. His results from countless exams have been mailed to the U.S. and studied, but no one knows what he has. The doctors think that Elder Barros may have the same thing. So, needless to say, I am a little bit more stressed than usual. But, its OK, don´t worry, I am fine. We have other elders staying with us now, so we can take care of him better. I dunno why they don´t just send him home, but, until that point, I am in charge of him. Crazy huh!! But really don´t worry, I am good to go, it was just really spuratic!!

Have you all seen 17 Miracles?? Its a really good pioneer movie, we watched it on Saturday cuz Barros isn´t allowed to walk in the sun. Oh yea, the conference with Elder Godoy was cancelled, so at least we didn´t miss that!

Thats basically all that happened!! crazy week huh?? We should have Sérgio and family baptized by the end of the month. Thats my goal, at least.

the deodurant I like is right guard mineral fresh. I would also like 5 one dollar bills, I like to give them out to people. and peanut butter!!!

I love you all!! Emily, you did a GREAT job on your talk!!

No comments:

Post a Comment