Monday, June 11, 2012

April 30, 2012

hello:

Sooooo I went to a city called Xanxerê on Tuesday cuz president asked usto do exchanges. So, I went with Elder Longo for a day. It was fun, the city is pretty cool. An even cooler city is called Xaxim. But, I met a man named Neuto Pasinatto, who has been working with Miss Brazil for his whole life. He knows all the winners personally!1 He is like 75 now and reminded me of Hugh Hefner, except that he is a member now. He is a recent convert. He has no vocal chords, and a metal tube sticking out of his throat and every time he wants do faintly whisper he has to plug the tube. You would think that would prevent him from talking, but he is a talker!!! He is really funny. He gave me a mug! But when I went in it was pretty memorable. I looked over and on his wall he had 3 pictures, one of the 2nd Coming, one of Joseph Smith, and one of the BOM. I commented and said that I liked them and he looked at me with a huge smile and said ``they light up the whole house!`` It was pretty cool to hear how this man was before and then to see how he had changed, even unto appreciating a few pictures! 

On Wednesday we started the EXHIBITION- a series of huge banners that thoroughly explain what the book of Mormon is and how it came to pass. We hang them up on the fence at the chapel and talk to every car and person that passes by. So we have been doing that all week. We talked to about 700 people this week and taught about 100 people about the BOM!! It is pretty cool, I will have to send some pictures next week. But, the coolest thing is that when I was a traveling assistant me and my companion Elder Athayde designed those banners on the computer! it was actually mostly Elder Athayde, but I helped too!! hah. But they work really well.

It is really cold now, it came out of the middle of nowhere!! And on Thursday we suffered. Elder Perren was taking a shower when out of no where the showerhead caught on fire. If you didn´t already know, in brazil they use electric shower heads because water heaters don´t exist. They are really dangerous! I have been shocked more than a fwe times!! but, needless to say, the showerhead was destroyed. So we had to take cold showers for the next couple times. I finally couldn´t take it, so we gathered all the money we had and went and bought what we could. The good thing is we had about 83 reais (money) so we actually bought a really nice one!! 

These banners will hopefully help our teaching pool out cuz it is pretty empty right now. It has been raining ever since I got here, and my shoes are 100% absorbant so its been a blast. We have been denied by soo many rich people!! The houses here are so huge, I don´t know what is here but there must be some company that everyone works for that pays really well. 

Its really weird here cuz we see the sisters every single day of the week. We basically share the area with them. Its unique, thats for sure!

Hey, I was thinkin the other day, have you (mom and dad) done a lot of family history work^? Cuz its somethin that I am really interested in now! 

Love you all!!

Elder Alex Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment