Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August 1, 2011

Dear Everyone:

How is everyone? Sounds like everyone has a cold huh? Thats a bummer. Soooooo Mom, I just counted out the weeks of the transfers cuz I know that they are 6 weeks, so thats how I did it. That isn´t official, but I am pretty sure it is right. Jonas loves to talk to you guys, and it is nice to have him. But I will have to find a new one if I get transfered. Did you get the message that Rafael sent?? He wrote on my fb. Hey Mom, where is Old Farm?? You said you bid on a place in old farm??

This week was good. It rained all week and Tijucas sucks and floods and my shoes suck though. We met this kid that I thought was 6 cuz he is so short but he is 15, has a full time job, and is in school. He pays rent!! We marked his baptism for next week, which has the possibility of me not being here anymore. I am nervous cuz I might get sent to the west, where apparently it is so cold in the mornings that the water doesn´t leave the tap and the toilets don´t work because the water is frozen!! So that will be fun. I will have to buy a jacket if that is the case. The fleece you put in my bag is doing well here in Tijucas though. Anyways, while we were at his house, watching his huge 60 inch TV that he bought (we are allowed to watch TV with investigators- weird huh? President Quieroz authorized it) and everyone is talking about how the U.S. is in some crunch of some sorts. I don´t understand the TV very well. Is the U.S. bankrupt?

I am excited about the stock. You gotta keep me updated on how it is doing!! Hopefully it will make some money while I am gone. I saw that dow jones was down like 1.5%, so thats that a good sign. I also saw that Reggie Bush got traded to the Dolphins? I don´t know if anyone cares, but I thought that was weird. Hey I have a question for Dad. Dad, what were those scriptures that you told me about that said ``christ sat down with them``?

I finished my first journal yesterday!! I will start the new little one tonight. I looked back a little bit and I had some pretty odd times in Baton Rouge. I am glad that I am here!! Last week I went on switches with that missionary from Paraguay. He taught me a little bit of Guarani, the language they speak there other than spanish. It is so stupid sounding! Haha it sounds like caveman language. But it was cool because we visited a member family that is from Paraguay that speaks Guarani as well and they conversed for a while and it was way weird. But Portuguese is going really well. I can almost 100% understand reading, and I can get the majority of what people are saying. They have to be talking to be though and I have to be able to hear it well. You know in english when you faintly hear someone talking in the backround and you can tell what they are saying?? I can´t do that. Not even close!! But its weird, when I talk to american missionaries in english sometimes I accidentally use portuguese words and I don´t even notice!!

The chapel had a little party thing this last week and had a bunch of native South American food. Not brazilian, they had weird food that the indiginous people eat. They had a drink called ``quentão`` which literally means ``really hot`` haha. It is made with ginger and grape juice and a bunch of weird leaves. It was pretty good! All the indiginous people live to be like 110 years old and everyone suspects that it is this drink that is super healthy. But, Brazilians like to put alcohol in it, so that ruins it. It was pretty good without alcohol though! The next day, Sunday, we had a member of the 70 come speak to our tiny congregation. His name is Elder Koch, and I talked to him a little bit before church. He is a really nice guy! He knows where we live, he travels to Utah a lot. (Obviously) He spoke about humility and said that poverty is not necessarily humility. That made me remember Baton Rouge! Everyone is full of pride there, even if they don´t have a house. Its bizzare.

We had a baptism this week of a kid of a less active member that lives in Bombinhas, which is really far away but still my area. I wanted to baptize him in the ocean soo bad but we have a crappy baptisimal font so I had to do it in there. The water was green... haha and really, really cold. Bombinhas is sooo pretty though, I want to go there when I am not a missionary.

I hear from Devan a lot, he is leaving on the 4th for Chile I think.

For the package, all I want is more peanut butter and if you can squeeze in that tie that you said dad found thats all I want. Oooo oo and an oil container for blessed oil. My old comp, M. Santos, asked me to ask you to send him a really ``cool`` one. So, if you can find a really huge shiny cheesy oil container, send it for him. He really helped me a lot, he is awesome. I invited him to stay at our house when he can afford to travel to the U.S. cuz he really wants to visit but doesn´t have a lot of money, sooo yea. They sell those at deseret book.

Thats all for this week, love you!!

Love Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment