Tuesday, August 9, 2011

July 25, 2011

HELLOO:

Yea so, my bday was cool. It was actually fun cuz it landed on p day but the next one isn´t dang it. did you get a chance to look in my closet yet? I hope its ok.

first off, let me tell you a really cool story. Well, firstly first off, my first companion that I had, (the one I didn´t get along with too well) was in the psychiatric ward in Baton Rouge for a week and was released from his mission 5 months early due to a severe mental breakdown... So thats kinda sad. I hope I didn´t add to the insanity. But, on to the happy part of the story. I emailed one of my friends in Baton Rouge and asked about the work. He emailed me back and told me about a guy named Darius. he was baptized last week. I don´t know if I ever told you about him, but it was me and Elder Taylor who tracted into him and taught him a little bit about christ and about the book of mormon. He knew nothing of it beforehand because he is from the middle east and was muslim. I only got to teach him twice before I left, and it seemed like it wasn´t going to go anywhere. He was iffy about the message, and was meeting with Jehovah´s Wittnesses as well. But today I got the email that he was baptized and is going on strong!! It is evidence on how important it is to ´´plant seeds.´´

Last week the couple that me and M. Santos baptized were married. I went to the wedding. It was cheesy and poor, but special at the same time. EXCEPT that when the bride walked in they played music (I didn´t recognize who it was) that was in enlgish and it swore a lot-it was kinda funny though cuz I was the only one who understood it. The next day we went to the poorest place in Santa Catarina (literally) to visit some guy that randomly came to church. Some crazy guy with no shirt was running down the road with a huge butcher knife, it was a little bit scary. We didn´t find the guy we came to visit and decided to knock some door. The lady that lives there is a less active member and was praying that she could somehow receive strength to make it back to church. It was no coincidence that we just randomly decided to knock that door! She is a good person and I hope to see her at church. She didn´t come yesterday but said she can come next week.

My comp and I get along well. I didn´t know that things can grow mold so easily! We battle mold everyday. The walls grow mold if we arent careful. I love living in a dry place! I could never live in the humidity. Sometimes all I look forward to is having a dryer to use when I get home. We have to hang everything to dry, which isnt bad, except it doesn´t stop raining and the clothes cant dry without sun and grow mold if they are out there too long. Its tough!!

My favorite baptism so far, Rafael, said that he wants me to go to the temple with him and his wife, in late 2012. That would be a cool experience, but I dont know how likely it will be! But have you guys ever heard of chimarrão? Proabably not. It is a really strange drink that is native to the south of brazil and EVERYONE drinks it. You have to have a weird fancy cup and a cool straw to drink it. It looks like marajuana. Look it up on google.

Dad, have you heard anything about the full p day? Apparently, there are going to be a lot of changes starting this next transfer. Oh, the transfers are as follows:

August 10
September 21
November 2
December 14
January 25
March 7
April 12
May 23
July 4
August 15
September 20

I read Kate´s blog the other day. Thanks for the entry, kate! the 4th looked really fun. I hope you invite me to go shoot guns on the 4th when I get back.
I forgot to tell you, but tell hannah and chase congrats.. Its kinda late now, huh? Do you know where Hannah´s husband served?
So last week I went to bombinhas again. But, we spent the whole day there. We visited a less active family that literally lived in a wood shack. I remember katie writing asking if thats how it was. Well, in this part of bombinhas, it is just like the shacks in district 9 that the aliens live in. All the roads are not roads, they are just areas that don´t have jungle that an SUV could pass through. It is a really unique place. On the other side of the hill though there is a top notch tourist resort haha.
Mom, I know you´ll hate to hear it, but my teeth are getting worse. I may ask for braces for Christmas haha. But my bite is really weird now.

To top the email off, sorry that it was so spuratic, it was hard to remember the happenings for 2 weeks!
Mom, the english classes are improving and my portuguese is decent now. I can joke around a little, hold a decent conversation, and teach a lot of the lessons. Its pretty cool, I am starting to think in Portuguese sometimes!!



I gotta run, but I love you and miss you all!!

Love Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment