Tuesday, August 9, 2011

May 30, 2011

Hey errbody:

So you didnt comment on the haircut. A member told me the other day that my hair looks like grass. After she said that everyone laughed for 20 minutes. They really do say whatever comes to mind its so bizarre! Lots of things they say are slightly crude and completely random. I like it its really funny. As usual, this p day sped by. Especially in Tijucas. Maybe if I wasnt a missionary I could have some fun. Well, I will say I could definitely have somefun cuz there is a beach really close to here. Anyways, whats new! HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE!! I sent a hand written letter last week but it probably got stolen. Let me know when it gets there! If not, I will write you another. Well, guess what happened to me. We were playing soccer with some investigators and I got bitten by some exotic mosquito. The next morning I woke up and my skin was numb. EVERYWHERE. It still is a little but it is so weird, if I put my hand on my arm I cant tell that its mine. It freaked me out at first so I wanted to see if I could feel anything so I bit my arm and I couldnt feel it and when I looked at the bite it was bleeding! But dont worry, the assistants of the mission stayed at my apartment the other night and one of them is a biologist and he said that it is just a toxin in my blood that will filter out in a couple days.

This week was just a bunch of travelling and doing odd jobs. The music class we had went well, we got a couple new investigators out of it. I called and asked for some help with the english class because I dont speak portuguese too well so thats why the assistants were here. But the class went great! There were millions of péople that were just in awe because two americans were teaching them english. They asked us to speak in english for them and we talked about the funniest stuff right in front of them because they had no idea what we were saying. But we have a little form thingy that they fill out and it talks about what we as missionaries do and it asks if they want to have a visit from us. We have 3 more families to go visit this week as a result of the english class! So it worked really well. I was told we were placed here because they needed to put two trustworthy missionaries in Tijucas because we gotta baptize like crazy because if we get the membership up to 80 active members, then the church will build a chapel here. They already bought land for it and now are just waiting for the membership to grow. We drew up plans for the chapel and it is gonna be really cool. The terrain that we have is really long and skinny though so the chapel is going to be a little bit different. The funny thing is that there is a Kingdom Hall (thats what the Jehovah´s Witnesses call their chapels) right across the street! We are going to be shaking our fists at each other on Sundays.. just kidding. But the Testamunhas de Jeová hate us!

The language is coming well. How come no one answers my questions! I usually have a question or two a week that kill me tha tI really want to know and it sucks enough to wait til monday. My question was: What are the most difficult language to learn for english speakers? And accept Junior Gonzaga on my facebook! Anyways, about the language. We gave a training to the members here in Tijucas about how to get their chapel built as fast as possible and I had to talk a lot and I did fine and they all understood. So that was pretty fun. I love to talk to little kids because they are the most willing to help me. Its kind of embarrassing when I have to tell 3 year olds I didnt understand. I dont think 3 year olds understand that there are other languages! But sometimes I wish I was called to James Little´s mission cuz I love Asian languages. And then I think how much harder the language would be!!

Mom, here is my spiritual experience for the week. We went to this 15 year olds house to do a drop visit (cuz she said she didnt have interest in the church anymore) and when she got there she told us that she had a change of heart and wanted to be baptized. Even better, her little sister wanted to be too! So we had two baptizms yesterday. The baptisimal font is sooo ghetto here. Its a tarp that we shape into a huge bowl and put water in. The water was soo cold because they dont have heated water here. It gets really cold hereat night its shocking!! Its a good cold for me, and doesnt compare to real cold. But I definitely need an extra blanket.

We had to go to Floripa a couple times this week and so thats why I dont have much to say.did you send the package yet? I saw a picture of the Presidents house and it is HUGE!! But there are some sorta nice houses in Tijucas. I found the road that all the ``rich`` people live on. they consider someone rich if they have a car or if they have a dryer. They are insanely rich if they have anything made by apple and it is unheard of to have a swimming pool.

Thats all I have for this week, Kevin says he might get his call on the first!! Let me know!!

happy birthday again Katie!
I wish I could have seen mom bowl 4 strikes. I will be back in 2013 to beat her.

Love you all!!

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment