Tuesday, August 9, 2011

July 4, 2011

Hey everyone:

This week went by fast, thank goodness. I love it when weeks go fast. Not because I hate the mission, but because when it goes fast it means I slept well which means I worked hard!!! First off, Mom, you forgot to tell me about my closet!!!!!!! Was it all eaten? I knew it. Did Lindsey get my birthday letter yet?

Alright, lemme tell you about the kind of work we do. The first thing we do with a family when we go into their house is play uno. I carry it around with us and it helps the family become more comfortable with us. I am not sure the new mission president will continue to allow it, but I like it a lot. Uno is fun and aall, but the confidence that it gives to the investigators in us is hard to do without Uno. The next thing we do, in the same visit, is bless the house. Our old mission president told us to say a prayer and bless the house and the inhabitants using the priesthood. There is a story in the new testament where Christ tells his Apostles to do the same thing, its pretty cool. It works well as well, we almost always get a return visit. We are currently teaching 2 families. One of the families we have already baptized 3 of the 7 kids. The parents are stubborn, but we are working with them. Their house is smaller than Mom´s bathroom. The Dad likes us a lot-he said that the way we conduct ourselves is the way he imagines Christ would do so. I know its not me. The setting apart of missionaries is something really special that I haven´t fully realized until this week.

Whats happening in Greece??

Yea, I got a new companion. It was so random. I told you a little bit about him last week, but now I know him a little better. He was baptized a year and 3 months ago, and before that he used to party and drink non-stop. He was a strong member of the Jehovah´s Witnesses. Dad and anyone that served a mission knows that the J-Dubs can be extremely hostile towards our faith. He has a strong testimony and it is really fun to work with him. He is teaching me how to solve a rubics cube. I did it once, but I forgot already. I need to practice more! But remember when I said my umbrella broke? Well, it was still functionable. But, on Sunday, someone stole it from the chapel! I found one in some weird room in the chapel, and I realized someone had switched this one for mine. Little did they know that mine was soon going to break for good. This one I am using doesn´t have a handle, but it works fine and its huge! It has been raining NON STOP, seriouslly non stop, for the past 6 days. It is sunny today for the first time in a week. The river than runs through Tijucas is flooding the roads and if it rains anymore, it will flood the whole city!! I saw pictures of when it happened the first time and it was like chest deep everywhere! I am excited to see if it happens. Maybe we will be able to tract in kayaks.

So we got to meet the new president. He is a little guy from the north of Brazil and hardly speaks any english. He gave a talk and he is an intense guy! He was screaming and hitting the pulpit and stuff! But, as with any Brazilian, he loves to joke and loves to have fun and laugh. He is a really good guy and I am excited to finally have a mission president for good! We had an interview with him and he reminds me a little bit of my mission president in Baton Rouge, except.. More fun. Haha. I guess there are going to be a lot of changes in the future, so I will keep you updated. I got to talk a little bit with my MTC friends and the ones that have been here for 6 months already speak really well! I am excited to get there. I had to translate for a new american missionary during a training and I did alright! But I am going to try to have a member upload all the pictures onto photobucket.

Nothing really exciting happened this week ,it was just really really rainy and extremely cold. I love the cold, and I love even being a little bit too cold, but it was freezing! The fleece that you put in my bag is saving my life. I hear from a couple of my friends every week on a chain email thing. I realized that some of my friends have less than 6 months left! Time is starting to go past a little faster, which is a good thing.

So were you able to send off the story about Grandpa and the line of priesthood authority? Also, I still wanna know about how the Schofield´s came in contact with the church. Not as urgent as the other things, but sooner or later I would like to know.

Sorry the email is kinda short, but I love you all and miss you!

Keep writing how you are, big long letters!!

Love, Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment