Tuesday, August 9, 2011

June 13, 2011


Hey Everyone!!

So Dad, first off, thanks for the email. Sorry this email might be a little bit shorter cuz I had to read it all but it helped a lot. Its just hard sometimes. Thanks for the advice too Mom. But anyways, the house looks AWESOME!!! It looks like it belongs in a magazine. I hope you can keep it up, I want to see it in person.

Do you think that moths will eat my clothes?? I am scared I will have no clothes when I get home.

This week went by fairly slow. Probably because the assistants had to come over again and we stayed up late every night. I just want to sleep. But somehow everyone always figures out that Elder Oaks is in our ward and freaks out and tells me to write him. But I dont even know if he knows who I am!! I know that Sister Oaks knows though, tell her I say hello. I remember when she taught me when I was really little, that was pretty cool. And tell her thanks for making her husband call me the day before I left. I didnt realize how cool that was!! Anyways, I recently heard from Treyden, Jacob, and Luke. Jacob is great, Treyden is working hard and is in Eugene! And Luke is in Bora Bora and is loving it. He sent a pic of the beach and I had to rival it so I went to a city called ``manto grande.`` Too bad it was kinda hazy but it was still really pretty. The hike was way fun but the busride to get to there was unreal. It will make any human alive sick to their stomach. It wound through mountains on dirt bumpy roads for an entire hour. It was pretty cool!! The city was like a ghosttown, which I dont understand cuz it was the prettiest beaches I have ever seen. The pictures dont do it near enough justice. Sorry it was kinda expensive to go there and the assistants insisted that we buy pizza 2 nights in a row, so thats why I took out 50 reais.

The poverty continues to amaze me. Some houses dont even have doors. It also is shocking because everyone is pretty much happy! Probably because on every single corner there is a bakery. I swear they make the best treats I have ever eaten. And they are so cheap!! There is a HUGE round bread that is 70 centavos.. Like 35 cents!! And it is bigger than my head. I want to open one there it would make millions. Ohh before I forget dont forget to record kevins farewell!! I saw the picture of us when we were younger. That had to be like 6 years ago. Have you seen it yet? I thnk he put it on facebook. But guess what? My umbrella already broke. I saw a t shirt hanging on some barbed wire and I wanted to use my umbrella to throw it on my companion but when I tried it wouldnt budge. I tried harder and my umbrella snapped in half. I guess thats what they call karma. But I tapped it all up and its good to go... Except it doesnt close. It still works though!!

I am glad that the Mavs won, even though I really dont like em much. I always kinda liked Dirk, maybe its because he is white. He has the best shot in the league.

We got a new cell phone and my comp thinks its the coolest thing ever but it looks like it came out in the 70s. Like I said, technology is way far behind here. He put three efy songs on there and he plays them non stop. I liked them at first but after the 352nd time I heard them I dont really like them anymore. And when he isnt playing them he is singing them, but he doesnt know the words cuz they are in english so he just makes sounds. Its kinda funny. Mom, I heard that me and my companion (Elder Joseilto Magalhães dos Santos) will proabably stay here in tijucas for another transfer. I am kinda sad that my president is leaving. He is so great, I am nervous for the new. No one knows anything about him. Our president´s Dad is the temple president in São Paulo and is friends with a bunch of the 70 so the PResident here knows a lot about the doctrine. He is also just a really great guy. I am sure that God wouldn´t call a bad guy for a mission president, so I am sure the next one will be just as good.

Dad, I think that we teach similar to how you taught on your mission. We have a flip chart thingy that the mission president wants us to use but we dont have things memorized we just go with the flow. But I think its the perfect way to teach. There are a lot of strange things in this mission though. For example, a group of missionaries that didnt want to follow the rules formed a ``mafia`` and basically didnt do anything that they were suposed to do. Apparently when Elder Bednar came 2 months before I got here he looked out at all the missionaries and knew instantly that there was apostate missionaries. Pretty cool the power of the But there are more changes coming in July besides the supposed P day change. Every missionary companionship in the world is going to recieve a portable DVD player in july. I am not sure why, but I imagine that some DVD player making company just made a WHOLE lot of money!! I played Uno with an investigator (we are allowed) and it made me homesick and I remembered playing Pit and Skipbo. I hope we still have em under the stairs!! The language is comin a long fine, I gotta run, sorry. Look up D efeitos n youtube.

I love you all!!

Love Elder Alex Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment