Tuesday, August 9, 2011

June 6, 2011

Hey Mom!!

It is pretty cold here, a city in the state of Santa Catarina reached negative 17 degrees yesterday. Its still really hot where I am though, just freezing in the mornings. The stupid humidity makes everything twice as extreme. When we wake up all the windows have water on them. I think that the eight months has just been normal speed. It seems like a looong time ahead but I hate looking ahead.

The language is coming alright, but I still cant understand! It still sounds like a whole different language! (which it is, but I have been studying it for 8 months you´d think I would know!) The english class was only so-so this week. Another U.S. missionary came and helped me out again. That kid is weird, he is obssessed with super strange doctrine of the church and he told me all about it. I learned some cool things though. Anyways, the english class was decent. We also have a music class (sorry I forgot I didnt say anything about it) my comp can play the piano so we have a class for that too. Our way of ``tracting`` is by acting like we are doing a study on religions. We go up to the person and ask them if they have a family, if they are legally married, and if God told them directly to leave their church and to join another would they do it. (which he tells people all the time!!) You would be suprised to see how many people say no. Its ridiculous! If God told the prophet to do that he would!! Nonsense. Anyways, the city of Tijucas just had a big old parade thing that was put on by the catholics. On sunday they had the parade and they had a band too. The funny thing was that they didnt start playing until they were right next to our chapel!

I am so excited for Kevin. I don´t know much about Guadalajara, but I think its pretty close to the border right? He is gonna see some crazy drug deals.
Anyways, the work is going well in Tijucas. We have the coolest guy ever to be baptized this coming week. His name is Rafael (pronounced Hah fye eyoo) and he is already strong in the church. I sat through gospel principles class with him and he had really good questions. We were talking about a less active and he suggested that someone go visit her from the church (he didnt know that there is such a thing as home teaching) he is really cool and he will definitely be one to visit when we come back. Hmmm what else. Ohh the package. Lets see, I need a new journal soon, I would like some peanut butter, and hmm... what else. Oh, I want to see the newspaper article about dads 911 story. Dad, if you have time, I would also like you to email it. I completely forgot the details and I want to remember!! I want to compare myself to Dads letters. Do you have any that you could photocopy and send in the package? Also, if you didnt send already, I would like an external hard drive. The biggest one that you think will be safe to send. There are a lot of things that I want to put on there. Ohh a cool pen!! remember the one that Dad gave me broke! I think thats it. Oh and just a couple random questions. How is the food storage coming? It is a big deal here because almost no one has it. I hope you are building it up? And are you still finding time to read with Em? I think that is cool. Other question; can you buy stock for me?
Hmm lets see what else? I cannot believe the poverty in some of the places I go. I am gonna have to take some pictures of the places that are poor, you wont believe it. And the people are all so happy and always laughing, Brazilians are so funny! The Brazilian missionaries can be a little bit annoying though.. The Brazilian culture is so different. The Presidents wife tells utah americans to marry brazilians because she thinks utah girls are bad (thats cuz she lives in provo) but I think a marriage between a brazilian and an american would be a big culture clash. But I think I will be transferred this next transfer. It is rare for missionaries here to be together for more than 2 transfers because Brazil is the perfect place for missionaries that are too good of friends to start slacking off. (I wouldnt slack off, but that is the mindset of the mission president) it is rumoreD that I will be the companion of the assistant that I mentioned in an earlier email, Elder Atayde. I hope so he is really cool. And that would mean that I would get to serve on the island!! It´ll be fun if I get to know the island because thats probably where we will spend most of our time when we come back. Speaking of which, did I say that I decided that I want Mom and Dad to come pick me up? I know its in 16 months, but I think we need to plan early. I didnt take a picture of my hair cuz its embarassing but its already grown back now. How are the Taylors doing? Are millie and paul still doin good? Hey Mike, did you take any pictures skiing this year?? I wanna see em! About the languages, I heard it was finnish. They have to conjugate every single word in the sentence!! I cant imagine that! Portuguese is hard enough to learn.

Well, thats all I have got for this week! This email was pretty long, I hope you enjoy it!!

Oh, Kate, no prob for the letter, P days here suck and if we dont travel a million miles to play soccer in another city with the other missionaries we just sit at home.

Linds, hows it goin. I love you.

Em, write me soon, how are ya doin?

I love you!!

Love Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment